Sunday, March 6, 2011

They Grow Up So Fast (part 4)

I'm behind on the baby pictures.  I hadn't realized I skipped the 8 week old pictures.  I'm a bad parent - good thing I don't have kids.

Red - 10 weeks
Here's Red at 10 weeks.  He's a good looking boy.  Too bad he's destined for freezer camp in a few months.








Here's Aussie at 10 weeks.  She's still the smallest Austrlorp in the
Aussie - 10 weeks
bunch, but she's still thriving.










Gray turken at 12 weeks.
The turkens are still my favorites, even though some of my co-workers are less than impressed by them.  The yellow-ish one is very docile and kind of skittish.  She takes to hanging out under the roost so she gets pooped on quite a bit.  It's grosss, but whatever.  She cleans herself up.  I also like the sound they make.  It's almost turkey like - definitely more gutteral sounding than the other chickens.



Yellow turken at 12 weeks.

Buffy at 10 weeks.
Buffy - yeah, she's got a name now, but mostly because I found out she's a Buff Orpington which is one of the breeds I want - the former Mystery chick, is being true to her breed.  She's definitely at the bottom of the pecking order.  When I give the chickens treats, I always have to trick the other chickens away from one dish so she can get the treats out of the other one before they start swarming it as well.

Finally, one of the random male Australorps decided to start crowing already.  He's only 10 week old, just like his clutch mates, but he started crowing last weeked (2/26). 

My brother and his girlfriend stopped by to take me to another brother's hockey game.  They like to visit with the chickens when they stop by, so I brought them down to check in on them.  During the visit, my brother's girlfriend started laughing at something, and the one boy decided to respond.  He crowed three times at her.  I was startled and amused at the same time.  
When I was down taking pictures today, he crowed at me.  Today's crowing I think was because of the clucking the girls made when I took them out for their portraits.  Luckily, the crowing wasn't wasn't that loud and it wasn't heard in the house.  He doesn't have to visit freezer camp quite yet.  I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared to go there quite yet.

The picture of him isn't great.  He was moving around alot and was actually crowing when I took the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment