Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Crooked Leg - Dec 26 2010 - Jan 25 2011

Crooked Leg didn't make it.  He had been getting weaker and weaker by the day.  The move to the lower level didn't help, but I don't think he would have last too much longer anyway.

He was still alive when I got home from work, but wouldn't accept any food and only a little bit of water.  I put him back in the brooder and went to have dinner and watched TV. When I went to check on the chickens a few hours later like I do every night (to tuck them in, so to speak) he was in the same spot, but he had died.  When I took him out of the brooder he was still a little warm, so I'm guessing he passed some time around 8pm or so.

Over the past two days, I've been researching the fastest/most humane way to cull a chick.  There are many ways to do it (some kind of gruesome, some not so bad).  Ultimately, I didn't have to pick one of them.  When the time comes to have to cull a chick in the future, I think I know which method I would use.  I will definitely not wait so long as that is not really fair to the chick or me.

For the Office Skeptic - you can keep eating meat now.  You don't have to think about what I may or may not have had to do.

RIP, Crooked Leg/Neck

No comments:

Post a Comment