Sunday, January 23, 2011

Crooked Leg (nee Neck) Update

Crooked Leg isn't digging the new digs so much.

In the plastic bins, he didn't have to go far to get to the food, water and to stay warm.  In the new brooder, these things are spread out more so he has to work a little harder to get what he needs.  He peeps pretty much all the time (or at least I can hear him even before I go into the garage - yes, I can recognize his peep).

He has a really hard time getting around.  My attempts at fixing his legs haven't worked.  He's not strong enough to stand on the one good leg, and the other one just drags behind.  He pulls himself around with the one good leg, and flaps his wings to help get moving.  It seems like he expends a lot of energy doing this.  He's about a third the size of his clutch-mates.  All his intake goes towards the energy needed to get around.

I'm a bad flock steward and need to make a tough decision soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment