Wednesday, January 5, 2011

No More Crooked Neck

It's not what you think. 

Crooked Neck's neck is no longer crooked.  After a couple of days of massaging his neck a few times a day, he is no longer flopping over on his back. 

Crooked Leg (nee Neck) showing off
his new bandage.
However, he now has a splayed, or spraddled, leg.  I followed the instructions on how to fix it based on the link.  But I think I may have taken action too late.  When I put the adhesive bandages on (couldn't say Band Aid (tm) since it is a brand name) he was kind of lopsided.  The week or so of being Crooked Leg caused him to build up strength in one drumstick, I mean leg, and the other was a little lame.  He'll have the bandage on for a few days to see if he starts to walk normally. 

If I were a better steward of my flock, I don't think Crooked Leg would still be with us.  This doesn't bode well for when it comes time to send the chicks to freezer camp.

Oh and I have started to use he for my pronoun to describe the chickens now instead of it even though I have no clue what sex any of them are yet.  I should know in the next few weeks as more feathers come in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment