Monday, December 20, 2010

Coop Update

Jumping in mid-story...

As I'm finding out how to get my permit finalized to have the chickens, I find out that I may not be able to have a coop on my property wihtout jumping through a bunch of hoops and paying a butt load in consultant fees.

The city planner (again, she seems like a nice enough person) tells me about the rules for accessory buildings and what the restictions are.  As we're talking, we're both going through the zoning ordinance.  What it sounds like is if the accessory building is one that is more than six feet from the primary dwelling and at least 25 ft from the property line. 

Whew.  Sounds like everything is going to be okay.  The coop is going to be near the house, outside the sub-garage (yes, I have a two story garage).  It will be less than 120 sq ft (I'm not sure if I'll do an 8x12 or a 10x10) so I don't have to get a  building permit. 

Hold on, Big Shooter.  There's a catch.

In order to do any "site improvements", a site survey is required. Even for a shed.  That's next to the house.    The consultant fee starts at $400 for the site survey.  And will most likely be much more expensive once the surveyor is hired.  Oh, this got the blood boiling.  I just closed on this house in September.  I have a property survey from then.  Why do I need another one?  Nothing has changed.  Augh.

My options at this point:
  1. Build the new coop, but attach it to the house.
  2. Convert the existing shed into the coop.
  3. Keep the chickens in the sub-garage. 
For now, I'm leaing towards option 3.  There is space in there for a 6x10 coop (big enough for 15 chickens).  I'd just need to cut a pop out door in the wall and then build a run in the spring.  And, it'll keep me legal. 

Whatever I decide, I need to shit or get off the pot, soon.  I have chickens hatching this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment