Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dogs Like Chicken, Too

But not in a good way.

What's up there?  Betty and Kenny smell chicken.

Ever since the chicks hatched, the dogs have been very interested in what is going on in the corner of the basement.  Any time the chicks make noise, the dogs' ears prick up and they feel the need to go investigate (or at least bark if they are being lazy).

My original intention was to leave the brooder on the floor with a lid on it.  I knew the dogs would be curious, but they (and by "they", I mean Kenny) turned out to be a bit crazed.  I think he only sees little snacks.

Because of that, I put the brooder up on a card table.  The heat light is not really set up ideally - I hope the pop cans don't fail me and I get BBQd chicks - but is doing the trick until I can set something up more permanently.

All the dogs milling about.
I'm hoping as the chicks get older, I can start to introduce them to the dogs so they don't see them as food but as just a curiosity.  I would like to have both the chickens and the dogs free ranging in the yard in spring/summer, but time will tell if this can happen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment