Thursday, December 30, 2010

Fox in the Henhouse

Or rather, dachshund in the brooder.

As I was getting ready for work this morning, I hear a commotion coming from the brooder area.  I poke my head out of the bathroom and I see a dog in the brooder with the chicks.  I run out of there, toothpaste foaming, yelling at the dog.  I get over to the brooder and pull the dog out, screaming at him the entire time.  He goes running, but is still lingering in the area.

I do a quick head count and I only count seven.  I get the dog to see if he has a chick in his mouth.  Nope.  I start scouring the floor, no movement.  I turn the light on, do a better job of looking on the floor.  Still nothing.  I look back in the brooder, and there are still eight chicks.  Whew.  Not sure where it was hiding, but all eight are still around and all look just fine.

I ended up blocking off the part of the lower level where the chicks are with a baby gate so the dogs can't get over there.  After work tonight, I'm going to move the brooder over to the bar area (where I was incubating).  I'll have to rig up something for he heat lamp.  I'm not sure what the dog did/would do to the chicks, but I don't want to take the chance that he only wants to be friends with the chicks.

Damn, Kenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment