Monday, December 20, 2010

Incubation Update (Part 1)

Quick update:  In case you missed it, here's some background on what goes into hatching chicken eggs.  The big thing to note is that eggs hatch in 21 days (give or take) a day.  That means, I'll have eggs hatching as soon as Thursday. 

I'll be doing a final candling tomorrow after work.  I'll then remove the eggs from the turner and get the humidity up for the last few days.  I'm excited, but nervous.

This past weekend, I went out and got the rest of the supplies I need - food, waterer, food dish, heat lamp, brooder box.  I still need to figure out where to get immunizations done.  I'll be calling local vets tomorrow to see who can do them for me or who can sell me the vaccine and I'll do it myself.

Still researching if I really need vitamins/supplements for the chicks.  Some books/people say absolutely, other say why waste the money.  Not sure which camp I'm in yet.

Anyone looking to buy me a last minute Christmas gift can get me this.  I've got a copy from the library - and I'll renew it at least once - but I'll need something long term for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment